New Ecere SDK pre-release September 5, 2010

General help: new users, installing the Ecere SDK, using the IDE to compile and run applications.
jerome
Site Admin

New Ecere SDK pre-release September 5, 2010

Post by jerome »

After the very successful Ecere Saturday of Code II, we're happy to offer a new bleeding edge pre-release of the Ecere SDK.

EDIT: by redj -- ecere-sdk-0.44pre-2010-09-05.tar.bz2 was still a bit t0o bleeding edge! The link above now points to ecere-sdk-0.44pre-2010-09-06.tar.bz2 -- enjoy! :)

The windows binaries were also updated.

EDIT: by redj -- I've updated this winbin.zip file as well. Please re-download if you rely on these binaries.

Enjoy! :ugeek:

Jerome
redj

Re: New Ecere SDK pre-release September 5, 2010

Post by redj »

it's good stuff! :D

-redj
redj

Post by redj »

If you've experienced difficulties compiling projects with the IDE having downloaded this bleeding edge release before now, download again. See the edit in the original post as I've edited the download link to point to a new tarball I just packaged this morning.

I think this latest tarball yields better or equal usability of Ecere SDK and the IDE compared to the current official tarball for all use cases. It contains many important bug fixes and will work much better in some cases. Surely, is will be more solid for all!

We're slowly making our way towards the next pre-release which will be great. And just a little further down the road, the official 0.44 release will be a rock solid bundle of goodness! Let us know if you would like to help us accelerate this effort. Drop us a line here in the forums or via email or come chat with us in #ecere on FreeNode. See the IRC link at the top of this page if you're unfamiliar with IRC, it's quite easy.

Cheers,

-redj
redj

Post by redj »

Windows binaries updated as well. Please see second edit in original post.

-redj
santy

Post by santy »

It's very good information.

Thanks.
sanyaade

Post by sanyaade »

Thank you all!

you are great Guys working happilly :D

God blesses!!!

Best regards,
Sanyaade
sanyaade

Post by sanyaade »

Good morning everybody :mrgreen:
jerome wrote:After the very successful Ecere Saturday of Code II, we're happy to offer a new bleeding edge pre-release of the Ecere SDK.

EDIT: by redj -- ecere-sdk-0.44pre-2010-09-05.tar.bz2 was still a bit t0o bleeding edge! The link above now points to ecere-sdk-0.44pre-2010-09-06.tar.bz2 -- enjoy! :)

The windows binaries were also updated.

EDIT: by redj -- I've updated this winbin.zip file as well. Please re-download if you rely on these binaries.
Does anybody know where I could download the portable version? I need to look at what makes it portable and if it will solve some of the problems I had this Monday.

Ecere won't run on some of our machines. It runs on some of them but compiled/build programs wont run at all. I am trying to figure out where the problems are? Tomorrow I try and run the new versions and also try the old ones separately to see if I have to step back and use the older version for my classes. This is not a good choice but to get to the bottom of the problems will be the best for me. Any advice, help, pointers will be well appreciated.

God blesses!!!

Best regards,
Sanyaade
redj

Post by redj »

sanyaade wrote:Ecere won't run on some of our machines. It runs on some of them but compiled/build programs wont run at all.
sanyaade wrote:Any advice, help, pointers will be well appreciated.
Perhaps you should send us some more info. Your makefiles for those compiled/build programs that won't run at all. Just rename SampleName-Debug.makefile to SampleName-Debug.txt and attach it to you next post. You could also email use those binaries but I don't know if that would help. You could also attach your ecereIDE.ini file (rename it to ecereIDE.txt).

These are just some things that might help use shed some light on your situation.

-redj

PS: You could also tell us more about "our machines". Operating system version and general specs. Try to paint a clear picture.
Attachments
test.txt
just a test
(6 Bytes) Downloaded 1177 times
redj

Post by redj »

Sanyaade,

About the portable version, I asume you've been to the Portable Ecere SDK topic. You are familiar with portableapps.com? You know what they are? Would that work for you? Or did you mean another kind of portable application like a .zip archive you just extract somewhere and you can run the IDE from there?

I will have to "bake" a new portable release sooner or later anyways, so if you let me know what you need exactly, I can probably package it for you.

-redj
jerome
Site Admin

Post by jerome »

Hi Sanyaade,

Could you please describe the problems when the programs can't run and/or can't compile?

For running applications:
What happens exactly when you try to run a program and it doesn't work?

Are they console or GUI applications?

Applications will require the ecere.dll to run, and optionally if you set up an application that only makes use of the core eC stuff to use ecereCOM only, will require ecereCOM.dll.
If both of these libraries are within the PATH (such as in C:\Program Files\Ecere SDK\bin which was added to the path, or in C:\Windows\System32), they should run fine.

Let me know if it's an error starting up, or a crash.

For building applications:
What happens exactly when you try to compile and it doesn't work?

Which version of the SDK are you using, and how did you install it on the machine?
Are you using the MinGW that was packaged with the 0.43 installer?
How far do you get when trying to build an application?
Did you set up the paths in the global settings dialogs?
Is a makefile properly generated? If so, show us what it looks like, and try executing it in a command prompt:

make -f MyProject-Debug.Makefile

Then show us the output from that command.

Let us know if things work better with an older version or not.
My feeling is that it won't and there's something going on which we should figure out ASAP.
Don't hesitate to email me ( jerstlouis@gmail.com ) so that I can't promptly help you out with this.

All the best,

Jerome